God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TO WATCH YOUR MOUTH - WATCH YOUR LIFE!

HALT - stands for Hungry Angry Lonely Tired.  Why is that important.  Because when we experiencing any one of those things we are in a situation where we have to be even more careful of what we think about, what we say, and what we do.  Just think back in your own life when was the last time that you were really unkind with your words?  When was the last time that you were self-focused and self absorbed in your thinking?  Were they times when you were struggling with one of these things HALT?  When I think back to some times when I have done or said things for which I later had to repent and ask forgiveness - many times it was because I had given in to something which was made worse by being either Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired.  That is why this verse is such a good verse to remember. 

Psalm 39:1 (HCS) I said, “I will guard my ways so that I may not sin with my tongue...

The word WAYS is a rich word with a depth of meaning.  It means direction - Train a child in the WAY he should go Prov.  22:6.  It means BEHAVIOR - ...all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. Gen 6:12.  It means to LIFESTYLE - ...or stand in the way of sinners... Ps. 1:1 
Why do I go into all of this?  Because as I read this verse I realized that the writer was making a connection between how we live and the way that we talk.  He was showing that there is a link between the direction we are going in life and the vocabulary that comes out of our mouths.  He is saying that our lifestyle impacts the way that we speak. So to take the verse literally we are to watch or guard our ways - SO THAT - we do NOT sin with our words. I think guarding our WAYS will mean being careful and aware that when we are Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired.  Why? We may be in a weakened state physically, emotionally or spiritually.  So it will be easier to stumble and fall in our thoughts, Words, or Actions.  That is why this is such a powerful verse.  It is not just saying watch your mouth or don’t say bad things.  It telling us to WATCH YOUR LIFE because the way that you live will impact the things that come out of your mouth.  

PRAYER: Lord God please help me to be more and more aware of the way that I live and how that will impact the WAY that I speak.  Please Lord I do want the words that come out of my mouth to be pleasing to You.  So help me to Guard the WAY that I live.  May I be following You closely and walking with You so that my lifestyle and my vocabulary are impacted by You and not the things going on around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment