God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Have You Ever Been ABANDONED?

Have you ever felt abandoned, left behind?  When I was in High School I went on a short Term Missions project to Europe.  We had been told over and over and over - “do not ever get on the bus or go anywhere without your passport, and the list of addresses of the places we are staying.”  We were also warned “if you are late for getting back to the bus you will be left behind and you will be expected to catch up with us at your own expense.”  Then we were reminded one more time to always carry our documents.  Sure enough early in the trip my friend did not get back to the bus on time.  When he got to the spot where the bus was supposed to be - we were gone.  Here he was in a foreign country and everyone he knew had left him.  (Yes, it was his own fault - but that is how he felt).  It took him a couple of days to finally catch up with us.  Imagine what it would be like to be left behind and never be able to find those who left you again.  That is the emotion that David is capturing in verse ten.

PSALM 27:10-14 Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.  [11] Teach me how to live, O Lord. Lead me along the path of honesty, for my enemies are waiting for me to fall. [12] Do not let me fall into their hands. For they accuse me of things I've never done and breathe out violence against me.  [13] Yet I am confident that I will see the Lord's goodness while I am here in the land of the living. [14] Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. (NLT) 

As horrible as it would be to be abandoned our Mother or Father or even a close friend.  GOD never Abandons us.  What an amazing thing.  God never turns away from us and just leaves us.  So if we are feeling distant and God seems a long ways off.  Guess who moved?  It was not God.  David asks God to teach him how to live and he asks God to lead him on the right and true path.  David brings his fears to God and then goes on to state his confidence in God’s Goodness.  Many times when we struggle it is because we do not believe God’s goodness is for us. We believe He is good - to others - but we do not believe He is good when it comes to us.  Part of that is the way our selfish hearts define what is good.  The other part is that we need to speak to ourselves the way David did.  He challenges himself and us by saying WAIT PATIENTLY for the Lord.  No matter what we face no matter how difficult a situation may seem we are supposed to TRUST the Lord and WAIT PATIENTLY for Him to act.  It is always worse when we try to act or live on our own without God. 

Prayer: Lord Your Goodness is awe inspiring.  When I get discouraged or down help me to go back and think about Your Goodness to me.  Lord, patience is not something I am good at but I do want to Trust You.  Help me to grow and to learn in my ability to TRUST You and to WAIT for You to act.  Help me NEVER to be in rush to do things in my own way or in my own strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment