God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

MURPHY'S LAW AND PSALM 23?

I’m sure you have heard of Murphy’s Law - “If anything can go wrong it will.”  But have you heard of O’tooles corollary to Murphy’s Law?  It states “Murphy was an Optimist”.  Fortunately most days I don’t buy into either one of those statements.  But once in a while.......    Last night I got home and there were two bills waiting for me.  I opened them up and both of them were way, way higher than I expected.  About an hour later Carol told me that one of our appliances was not working properly.  I’m not proud of this but in my heart my attitude went past Murphy at light speed and straight to O’toole's corollary.  I did not swear or kick things I did not yell at anyone but I have to admit my attitude was awful.  And everyone knew I was not happy.  I went to bed in a sour mood and woke up this morning under the conviction of the Holy Spirit.  The Lord was gently speaking to me about the twisted desire of my heart and my attitude of the night before.  I knew I was wrong.  So I confessed to the Lord and spent some time praying. Then I opened my Bible in to the Psalm I was supposed to read today.  This is the verse that met my eyes:

Psalm 23:1 (HCS) The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

I have to be honest I almost started to laugh.  Here I had been upset about how to pay for these bills.  And in the process I had forgotten how many times God has done remarkable things in even worse circumstances.  It was JUST the reminder I needed.  Mark you have ALL that you need.  Mark you do NOT LACK anything.  But Lord, what about that thing that may be breaking down?  The verse is pretty clear.  As long as the LORD is MY shepherd I do not LACK anything. Even if I have to go without - I still LACK NOTHING.   

Next I went to the verses I was supposed to read in the New Testament.

1 Peter 2:11 (HCSB) Dear friends, I urge you as strangers and temporary residents to abstain from fleshly desires that war against you.

Talk about adding fuel to the fire. I am to remember that I am a temporary resident. This world is NOT my home and I am NOT supposed to give in to my selfish Desires.  When it comes to anything I think I must have I have to weigh in light of this verse.  I am not supposed to give into my selfish desires. I am supposed to REFUSE to take part in pursuing those things at all.  Now I am not kidding when I say these were the verses I was supposed to read today.  I always read systematically through the books of the Bible that I am reading.  Right now that is Psalms and 1 Peter.  So I did not search for these verses this morning.  They were right there waiting for me and God in His Infinite wisdom and sovereignty knew I would need those verses today.  What an amazing God that He shows such patience and grace. 

Prayer: Lord Jesus thank You for Your patience with me.  Thank You that You are at work in me.  Thank You that I do not have to worry - but that I can bring all the things that are weighing on my mind straight to You.  Thank You that You are big enough to handle whatever I am facing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment