God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Monday, July 11, 2011

WORDS MEAN THINGS!

“Words mean things.”  That statement reminds me that the things I say matter and that they have impact on others.  Hopefully remembering that statement helps me to think before I speak so that I do not hurt someone else with my words.  Another statement that is important when trying to figure out what someone else is saying is “Context is Important.”  Especially when we are trying to understand what a verse in the Bible means.  The actual words are full of meaning but the context historically many times gives us a deeper insight into what the writer was saying.  Let’s look at these verses together.

Psalm 57:7 (ESV) My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast. I will sing and make melody.

Psalm 57:7 (NET)  I am determined, O God. I am determined. I will sing and praise you.

The Hebrew word for Steadfast or Determined comes from the idea of having a Steadfast heart.  The “heart” was considered the center of a persons will where a person make decisions.  So Determined really captures what David was saying here.  To say I am DETERMINED I will sing praise to You sounds good and it may even challenge us a little.  However, if we look carefully at this Psalm and the context of when it was written helps us to see the determination of David.  The heading over the Psalm tells us that David wrote this when he was running from King Saul who was trying to kill him.  As David was hiding out in a cave he wrote these incredible words.  I am determined. I will sing and praise you.  Now that is blows me away.  When I am struggling and hurting most of the time I’m not all that interested in singing praise to God.  I might actually be a whole lot more interested in complaining or whining.  Yet David shows us what God wants us to do when we are struggling and hurting... sing praises to HIM.    WHY?  Why does David do this?  

 Psalm 57:10-11 (NLT) For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens. May your glory shine over all the earth

David is willing to Sing praise to God even while he is hiding in a cave to save his life because he believes God’s Love NEVER FAILS.  He understands that God is FAITHFUL and that God can be Trusted no matter what the circumstances may be. 

PRAYER:  Lord God thank you that you are the Faithful Unfailing God of the Universe.  Thank You that I can Trust You no matter what I’m going through.  Please help me to praise You no matter what is going on.  May I see past the difficulty, trial, or struggle.  Help me to be able to Praise YOU no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment