God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Monday, July 11, 2011

Same Old Same Old

Do you ever feel like you are doing the same thing everyday?  You get up, you go to work, you eat, you sleep, you interact with family, friends, and co-workers and then you do it all over again.  Many times we do fall into routines.  Most of the time there really nothing wrong with that as long as we are not merely going through the motions.  When we just go through the motions then all we are really doing is coasting along without making much of an effort in life.  That is when there is a problem.  We are not supposed to ignore God or the people he puts us in contact with.  And the minute we start to merely go through the motions, coasting without thinking about it, that is what we are doing. If we just go through the motions at work we need to ask ourselves is my employer getting all that he deserves?  Am I representing the Lord well in the way that I work for him or her?  If I coast in my relationships with others and put no effort into them am I really doing what God has called me to do?  I am supposed to be salt and light no matter where I am and I cannot do that just going through the motions. If we coast in our walk with God and don’t put any effort or passion into seeking after Him then we are not walking in a way that honors and pleases Him.  Let’s look at the challenge from these verses. 
 
2 Chronicles 19:9, 11 (NLT) These were his instructions to them: You must always act in the fear of the LORD, with faithfulness and an undivided heart.  [11]...Take courage as you fulfill your duties...
 
2 Chronicles 19:9, 11 (NET) He commanded them: “Carry out your duties with respect for the LORD, with honesty, and with pure motives.   [11] ...Confidently carry out your duties! ...
 
The context is that King Jehoshaphat has appointed Levites and Priests to settle disputes and decide cases between the people. As he did this he gave them this challenge.  In applying God’s Law in all situations FEAR the Lord - Respect and Reverence Him - as you seek to do the job you have been given.  They were to step forward with Courage and Confidence and do what God had set before them to do.  I don’t think it is to much of a stretch to apply that same challenge to us in our own lives.  The Lord calls you and me to follow Him and to carry out our duties with RESPECT for the Lord.  My duties are all those things which I need to do each day at work or at home.  My duties also include all my interactions with others.  I must also do my job, go to school, take care of my family with the same high ideals.  I must act with honesty and with pure motives. That last one is so hard because my heart is twisted and I can’t always say my motives are pure. But that is the challenge.  So after we have spent time with the Lord and after we have done our best to make sure our heart is right with Him and with others then we can step forward Confidently (confidence in Him) knowing that these are the duties or the calling which He has given us. 
 
PRAYER:  Lord God thank you that you fill my life each day with the challenge of living in a way that shows I Reverence and Honor You.  Please Lord God help me to FAITHFULLY do those things which you put before me to accomplish today.  Please help me to do them honestly, and from pure motives.  Lord God no matter what I am facing today give me the ability to Confidently do everything You ask me to do in a way that makes You look good.    

No comments:

Post a Comment