God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Thursday, January 19, 2012

LOVE MAPS - HATE GPS

I love maps - I know GPS systems are all the rage.  I know you can get them in your car,  or on your phone.  I have seen them work and they have gotten me where I needed to go.  BUT - I would rather have a map that I can see the whole route on - or at least sections of it at a time.  For me it is the idea of being able to glance at it and see in a heart beat what is coming and how far I have to go.  That is why it is hard for me at times to wait on God’s leading and direction in my life.  Because God does not give us a roadmap of the whole journey.  Many times he gives us enough light for the next step.  There are many good reasons for that but it is still hard.  That is why we ask questions like what is God’s Will for my life?  That is a great question.  On some things it is very clear what God wants from us. He invites us to come to the Cross to be Forgiven of our sins.  He invites us to join Him walking side by side with Him in the yoke of discipleship.  But on other things He says keep on walking with me I will give you direction for the next leg of the journey - kind of like a GPS.  Sometimes God’s leading and direction is absolutely clear.   But if we are truly honest with ourselves we have to admit that God’s Will is NOT always easy.  Think about these clear statements of God’s WILL.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV) Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 (NLT) God’s will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin.

1 Peter 2:15 (NIV) For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.

These are very clear statements of God’s Will for us.  There is enough here to think about for awhile.  There is also enough there to keep us always looking to the Lord for His Help and strength to be able to Obey. I am supposed to PRAY continually with and attitude of Thanksgiving.  That attitude of thanksgiving must be there in ALL circumstances not just during the pleasant and the fun times.  God wants me to be HOLY in my daily life that will mean avoiding sinful lifestyle choices and specifically this verse refers to sexual sin.  That is way more than just immorality physically, it has to do with our thoughts.  Anytime that we fill our minds with any kind of sinful sexual content we are stepping OUT of God’s Will.  Finally, God’s Will has to do with doing GOOD  my behavior should be such that my words and actions would silence the criticism of those who might want to attack me for my walk with Christ.  I may not have a whole Roadmap of where God is taking me as I walk with Him in the yoke of discipleship.  But I do have some specifics about His Will that do NOT EVER change.  May this Poem empower our Prayer as we seek to live out God’s Will in our lives.

THE WILL OF GOD   Author Unknown

The Will of God will never take you
Where the Grace of God cannot keep you,
Where the Arms of God cannot support you,
Where the Riches of God cannot supply your needs,
Where the Power of God cannot endow you.

The Will of God will never take you
Where the Spirit of God cannot work through you,
Where the Wisdom of God cannot teach you,
Where the Army of God cannot protect you,
Where the Hands of God cannot mold you,

The Will of God will never take you
Where the Love of God cannot enfold you,
Where the Mercies of God cannot sustain you,
Where the Peace of God cannot calm your fears,
Where the Authority of God cannot overrule you.

The Will of God will never take you
Where the Comfort of God cannot dry your tears,
Where the Word of God cannot feed you,
Where the Miracles of God cannot be done for you,
Where the Omnipresence of God cannot find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment