God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

JUST SAY THE WORD? WHAT WORD?

As we start a new year we look into the future.  I have noticed that many people are looking at this new year with a mixture of concern and fear.  I can’t say as I blame them.  The political scene is troubling at best, the economy is struggling, and it seems that there is a steady flow of bad news.  I have to be honest if I did not believe that God is Sovereign, that He is in control, and that nothing ever catches Him by surprise, I would be full of dread looking at this new year.  But because of the fact that God is trustworthy I can face whatever may come knowing He has the power to act and to bring about His purposes.  Let’s look at these verses together.

Matthew 8:5-8,10  (NIV) When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.  [6] "Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering." [7] Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him." [8] The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.    ...[10] When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.  

The centurion had incredible confidence in the fact that Jesus COULD heal his servant. There is no hint of doubt.  He believed Jesus had the Power to do this.  As an officer he also understood the principle of authority being given to someone else accomplish a task.  The centurion saw this healing as a matter of Power and authority.  He believed Jesus had the power to heal and the authority to order it to be done at a distance.  Somehow he grasped what most had missed - Jesus had power and authority over ALL of creation including the sickness of his servant.  He was so confident in the Power of Jesus that he believe ALL Jesus has to do is say the word and it would happen.  That is amazing.  I wonder do I have the same confidence and trust in Jesus that this centurion did?  Am I willing to TRUST Jesus to work in my life?  Am I willing to trust Him with my fears and doubts about the future?  Jesus is still the one with the POWER and the AUTHORITY to act.  It is our job to surrender to Him and to Trust Him with our lives each day.

PRAYER:  Lord, Jesus thank You that You have the Power and Authority to act in any situation that I am facing.  Please Lord God help me this year to TRUST You more and more. Please Lord keep me from giving in to doubt and fear - help me to TRUST You in those hard times.  May I see YOU more than I see the problem or difficulty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment