God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

IT IS WHAT IT IS???


So the news was NOT what I wanted to hear.  I wanted the Doctor to say you can stop wearing the boot and resume normal activities.  Instead I heard think LONG TERM - months not weeks.  And I had such good plans - none of which included being forced to wear a brace or boot long term.  What do we do when we get bad news?  How do we handle serious disappointment?  Yes I KNOW God uses hard things - hard times - to strengthen us, shape us, and form us more and more into the image of Jesus Christ.  But.......  I have said for years the phrase "it is what it is" as a statement that some things you just cannot change. But too many times - for me - that has become a statement of fatalism... oh well I cannot do anything about it so I have to accept it.  Those were some of my thoughts before I read these verses.

1 Thessalonians 2.16-17 (NLT)  Now may OUR Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God OUR Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, COMFORT you and STRENGTHEN you in every good thing you DO and SAY.

After I read these verses today - I had to stop and confess. I have been complaining and by my complaints (subtle as they may have been - being expressed mostly in my thoughts) I have been questioning God’s plan for me.  But these verses remind me that MY God gives Grace and Eternal Comfort, and WONDERFUL HOPE.  Not because the circumstances have changed or gotten better from MY perspective.  But because He gives Comfort and Strength each and everyday. He gives the ability to DO and SAY good things no matter what the circumstances may be.  The question is will I look for those GOOD things that He wants me to do?  Will I seek out ways to SAY those GOOD words that need to be said?  Because the comfort and strength He promised seem to be connected to a willingness to DO and SAY the good things to which He calls us. 

So instead of saying "it is what it is" maybe I need to start saying "God KNOWS what He is doing."  I certainly believe that on a biblical and theological level.  But I need to believe it on the everyday - I have to wear this brace for an extended period of time - level. 

PRAYER: Lord, God thank you for Your comfort and strength especially during hard and challenging times.  Lord all that I am going through comes from Your hand for a good purpose.  Please help me to keep in mind ALWAYS that no matter what is happening I can still DO and SAY good God Honoring things.  May I hang onto the TRUTH that YOU KNOW what You are doing

No comments:

Post a Comment