God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Thursday, August 30, 2012

EEYORE THEOLOGY - IT IS NOT A GOOD MORNING!

Eeyore the donkey is one of my favorite characters from the Winnie-the-Pooh books.  In the audio versions of the books he has a grumpy old voice and most of what he says comes across that way.  Eeyore is not a glass half empty kind of donkey as far as Eeyore is concerned there is no glass.  One of my daughters (not a morning person) has a mug with Eeyore on it that says (grumpily) Good morning if it is a good morning which I doubt.  Have you ever felt like that?  I have to be honest once in while I do feel like that.  Sometimes when I get bad news followed by hard news followed by a difficult situation that I have no idea how to handle I get a bit down.  At those times I find it hard to TRUST God.  My head tells me God is Sovereign by my feelings and circumstances pile on and I feel a bit like Eeyore in the morning.  What do you do when you face those kinds of feelings?  Getting back into the Word of God is the only way to correct Eeyore in the morning feelings.  So today two passages were a huge encouragement to me.

Psalm 130:1-4 (NLT) From the depths of despair, O LORD, I call for Your help. Hear my cry, O Lord.  Pay attention to my prayer. LORD, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? But You offer forgiveness that we might learn to fear [honor, revere] YOU.

Those are the words of someone in deep trouble, someone who desperately needs help so they turn to the only SOURCE of real help that exists - God.  They may be in despair but they are looking for help in the right place.  How many times do we feel like this but instead of turning to God we turn inward trying to figure things out by ourselves?  Or how many times rather than seeking the Lord do we seek the help in others?  This desperate person knew to whom they must turn. 

Romans 8:1 (NLT) So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.

No matter what I am feeling: down - like a looser - like nothing I do matters - like I blow it all the time - like it is NEVER a good morning - or like the half full glass does NOT even exist.  The TRUTH is that if I have accepted God’s gift of Forgiveness and Salvation then I belong to Jesus Christ.  If I BELONG to Him then there is NO condemnation that I need to fear.  ALL my sins, including my doubts and fears, my bad attitudes, my lack of Faith, ALL of those sins have been paid for.  I will NOT suffer any condemnation for them.  God has Forgiven me - SO THAT - I can learn to honor and revere Him.   I love Eeyore - he reminds me that God loves me EVEN when I feel like Eeyore the donkey under a dark cloud. 
 
PRAYER:  Lord Jesus - I give you my doubts, fears, and every wrong belief about You.  Lord God help me to be in absolute AWE of Your amazing grace and forgiveness.  Please Lord God help me in my unbelief - help me to TRUST You more and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment