God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Thursday, May 10, 2012

TOILET BOWL THEOLOGY

What does a toilet brush have to do with theology?  What could a group of missionaries from all over the world learn from a tool used to clean toilets?  Carol and I had the privilege of being part of conference for missionaries last week.  We were humbled to be with so many of the Lord’s precious servants - many of whom are serving in very hard and sometimes dangerous places. 

As I spoke I started out telling them the story of a young woman from our church in Detroit who had served the Lord at a Christian camp one summer.  She was given the nasty job of cleaning the bathrooms everyday after 100 + young campers had made them filthy.  She was getting down about it and starting to grumble in her heart when the thought came to her that she could actually do this job in a way that honored and glorified God - or she could have a bad attitude and complain.  She decide that each day she would raise that toilet brush towards heaven and dedicate the job ahead of her to the Lord then proceeded to the job well seeking to honor God.  That reminds of these verses. 

Colossians 3:17 (ESV) And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

 Colossians 3:17 (NLT) And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.

“In the Bible, a person's name represents that person. To do something in the name of the Lord Jesus is to act in a way that is in harmony with His identity and under His authority.” NLT Notes

The Christian Life and Ministry are Hard - many times we have to do things that we do NOT LIKE.  So I have a toilet brush clearly visible in my office to remind me of that TRUTH.  However, it is also there to remind me that I can choose to do the hard things, the difficult things, in my walk with Jesus or in my service for Him in a way that HONORS Him.  If I choose to do that then the toilet brush becomes my symbol of a hard thing done in a way that brings glory to God.  When I do that an amazing thing happens.  I discover that even those hard and distasteful things that I have to do can bring joy and satisfaction.  WHY?  Because I’m doing them for Jesus - I am more concerned with honoring Him with my thoughts, words, and conduct than I am about how awful the task may be.  Part of that process is GIVING THANKS to God for the privilege and opportunity to glorify Him through those difficult things.  What are you facing today that is Hard or unpleasant?  What things are you facing that you just don’t want to go through?  If you will take time to present that task to the Lord Jesus with Thanksgiving you will discover that no matter how hard the Christian life is - no matter how difficult serving the Lord Jesus can be - IT IS WORTH IT!  And that is TOILET Brush theology.

PRAYER:   Lord Jesus I don’t like this task - but I want to do it for You to Honor You.  Thank You for this opportunity which You have given me to do this.   Please help me - give Your strength - Your grace to keep on going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment