God's Word is Powerful

God's Word is Powerful

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I KNOW IT IS NOT ABOUT ME - BUT I HATE TO WAIT

I absolutely HATE waiting in lines.  Whether it is the grocery store or the bank or being backed up in traffic on the highway.  I hate to wait.  I’m sure a huge part of that is my sinful nature.  I really do not want to wait for my breakfast burrito I want it ready to go when I ask for it.   So naturally God has worked on that area in my life.  Down through the years I have been challenged by His Word, by an amazing wife, and three great daughters.  The message has been the same “it is NOT about You.”  On some level we ALL have to learn that Truth.   However, that being said when I go into an emergency room with my finger half severed I really hope I don’t have to take a number and wait.  One of things that makes me grateful for the fact that we have a Sovereign and Infinite God is that when I am struggling, hurting, or facing temptation God does NOT say... hang on I have to wait on these other people first... take a number and sit down I will get to you.  Let’s look at these verses together.

Hebrews 4:14-15 (NLT) So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. [15] This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin

Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV) Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. [15] For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin. [16] Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

We have a High Priest - Jesus - who intercedes for us with God.  He is on our side, He pleads our case, and He welcomes us into God’s presence.  The reason He can and does intercede for us is that He offered Himself up as the perfect Sacrifice - shedding His own blood - for OUR sins.  So that we would not have to pay the price for our own sins which would have meant death and eternity in hell.  But Jesus paid the price by dying in our place.  He then rose again ascended into heaven and sat down at God’s right hand.  That is WHERE He is RIGHT NOW interceding for us.  That is also WHY He can say come boldly into God’s presence.  Because He has opened up the way and paid the price for our sins.  They no longer come between us and God.  Jesus paid for them completely.  I love the fact that the ...verb translated let us come - or -  Let us then approach  can be translated to indicate ongoing action: let us continually come.” (NLT Notes)  That is very comforting to me because today I will need to go to the Throne of Grace over and over for help.  I love the fact I do not have to stand in line, that there is no wait, that I don’t have to do anything but come.  I can come boldly NOT arrogantly into His presence with my woundedness, my neediness, with my questions, doubts, and fears and He is ALWAYS ready to hear and to help. I  can KEEP ON COMING over and over and over because Jesus has opened the way and made it possible for me to come.  I also love the fact that God is sitting on the THRONE of GRACE.  What does that mean?  It means that God in ALL of His Power, Majesty, reigns from the position of Grace.  His throne is ALL grace - that is why I can come in the first place.      

PRAYER: Thank You Lord God that I can come to You with my struggles, fears, and failures.  Thank You for Your Mercy and Your Grace.  Thank You that you Understand and that You give me Your help so that I can be victorious over those things that Trouble and Tempt me. Thank my Lord God that Your throne is ALL GRACE and that You invite me to come ANYTIME.  Thank You for Your Mercy and Forgiveness as well as Your ongoing empowering everyday Grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment